In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and related UK data protection legislation, we are committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of the information that you provide to us. This Privacy Notice is designed to help you understand how we collect and use your information.
We may collect information from you about other people, for example, family members who may drive your car or who may be included on a travel or household insurance policy. If you give us information about another person it is your responsibility to ensure and confirm that:
- you have permission from the individual to provide that personal information to us and for us to use it, as set out in this Privacy Notice.
Data We Collect
We collect personal data and sensitive personal data as part of providing services to you. We may also monitor or record calls, emails, SMS messages or other communications in accordance with UK and European law.
Types of data we may collect
• Personal data - Examples of personal data we may collect includes:
- Name, address, date of birth and gender
- Telephone numbers, email address and other forms of contact information
- Occupation and other lifestyle information to include family details and relationships.
- Credit/debit card details, bank details and other financial information
- Claims details
• Sensitive personal data - Examples of sensitive personal data we may collect includes:
- Medical history
- Criminal convictions,
- Racial and ethnic origin
Uses for your data
The data you provide to us will be used by us (or our trusted service providers acting on our behalf) for the following purposes:
- Quotation: Your data will be used to provide you with the best quote with our trusted partners in relation to the insurance services you are requesting a quotation for.
- To ensure our insurers and credit providers have the necessary facts to assess your insurance risk, verify your identity, to help prevent fraud and to provide you with their best premium and payment options, they may obtain information from third parties at quotation and renewal and in certain circumstances where policy amendments are requested. This information includes a quotation search from a credit referencing agency. This search will appear on your credit report and will be visible to other credit providers. It will be clear that this is a quotation rather than a credit application by you to pay by monthly instalments.
- Customer Services: Should you need to query, amend or cancel or make a claim against a policy you have taken up with us, we will use your personal data to assist you with the action or enquiry you are contacting us for.
- To contact you in any way (including mail, email, telephone, text or multimedia messages) about products and services offered by us and/or carefully selected partners but only when you have given us consent to do so. You can opt-out of receiving such information at any time by contacting us.
How and why we use this information
We will process any personal data lawfully under one or more of the following bases:
- Contract: the processing of data is necessary in order for us to have a contract we have with you, or because you have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract.
- Legal obligation: the processing is necessary for us to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations).
- Legitimate interests: the processing is necessary for our legitimate interests pursued by us. In such cases our legitimate interests are as follows:
• To add value to your existing insurance policy held with us by offering you advice or extra covers on the policy that may be appropriate
• To investigate and prevent potential fraudulent and other illegal activity
- Consent: This is where you would have completed our client data consent form which gives clear authority for us to process your personal data for the reasons declared on the form. This may include contacting you with information about other products or services we can offer, newsletters, technical updates or general industry news that we feel you may benefit from. In situations where you have given your express consent verbally we will record when this consent was granted and confirm in writing that this has been given. Where written consent has been provided in a different format (as opposed to the client data consent form) then we will retain this copy as evidence of what you have granted. Where processing is based on consent, you can withdraw your consent to processing at any time so that we stop that particular processing.
- Substantial public interest: Processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, on the basis of EU or UK law.
We do not sell your data to third-party companies. We may share your data with selected third parties for:
- Administration – For the purposes of carrying out administration and other functions necessary to provide our services to you to include a record of the policies we issues, risk features, transactions history, documentation and letters/email communications.
- Making credit decisions – with your consent we will carry out a credit check which may be used to make insurance decisions about you. If you elect to pay your insurance by monthly instalments it will also be used to make decisions about your creditworthiness. If you are paying by monthly instalments your data will also be shared with Close Bros Premium Finance, who we use for finance agreements.
- Fraud prevention – we may share your data for the prevention of insurance fraud.
- Other insurers – we will provide information relating to No Claims Bonus, claims history and motoring convictions with other insurers.
- Other third parties may include other brokers, insurers, auditors, loss adjusters, solicitors, regulatory bodies (such as the Financial Conduct Authority), our data processors providing business support services, law enforcement agencies. We may also disclose your personal information with other third parties, for example in the context of the possible sale or restructuring of the business.
Data Retention Policy
We will keep your information for as long as it is required to enable us to provide quotations, administer your insurances, offer renewal and respond to any claims or complaints (which may arise after the period of insurance has expired). This will usually be a minimum period of six years, unless otherwise determined by law or regulation or if we feel it necessary to protect our own, yours or another person’s vital interest. Once we decide that we no longer need your information it will be securely and confidentially destroyed.
Fraud Prevention, Detection and Claims History
In order to prevent and detect fraud we may at any time:
Share information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the Police check and/or file your details with fraud prevention agencies and databases and, if you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this with ourselves, these agencies and databases.
Your Rights and How to Complain
You have certain legal rights under UK data protection law and regulations, summarised as follows:
- The right to be informed about our data processing activities, including through Privacy Notices such as this.
- The right of access to the personal information we hold about you. To request a copy of this information you must make a subject access request in writing to us.
- The right of rectification. You may ask us to correct any inaccurate or incomplete data within one month.
- The right to erasure and to restrict processing. You have the right to have your personal data erased and to prevent processing except where we have a legal obligation to process your personal information. You should bear in mind that by exercising this right you may hinder or prevent our ability to provide products and services.
- The right to data portability. On your request, we will provide you with your personal data in a structured format.
- The right to object. You have particular rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling to reduce the risk that a potentially damaging decision is taken without human intervention. You can object to your personal data being used for profiling, direct marketing or research purposes.
You have a right to submit a complaint to the Information Commissioner if you believe we have not complied with our obligations under the Data Protection Act. https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
If you would like to invoke any of these rights or if you have any questions or complaints in relation to our use of your personal data or you wish to withdraw your consent to processing, please contact Steve Redwood on 01460 53095, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call into our office in Ilminster if your personal information needs updating.
Alternatively, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire, SK9 5AF, via their website, www.ico.org.uk or 0303 1231113 (local rate)/01625 545745 (national rate).
Under certain conditions, you have the right to require us to:
- provide you with further details on the use we make of your personal data/special category of data;
- provide you with a copy of the personal data that you have provided to us;
- update any inaccuracies in the personal data we hold;
- provide you with your personal data in a structured format
- delete any special category of data/personal data that we no longer have a lawful ground to use;
- where processing is based on consent, to withdraw your consent so that we stop that particular processing;
- object to any processing based on the legitimate interests ground unless our reasons for undertaking that processing outweigh any prejudice to your data protection rights; and
- restrict how we use your personal data whilst a complaint is being investigated.
In certain circumstances, we may need to restrict the above rights in order to safeguard the public interest (e.g. the prevention or detection of crime) and our interests (e.g. the maintenance of legal privilege).
Our cookies help us:
- Make our website work as you'd expect.
- Remember your settings during and between visits.
- Improve the speed/security of the site.
- Allow you to share pages with social networks like Facebook.
- Continuously improve our website for users.
- Make our marketing more effective.
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission).
- Collect any sensitive information (without your express permission).
- Pass data to advertising networks.
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties.
- Inform sales commissions.
We will always endeavour to respect your privacy. Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and email address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of Harper Dolman & West Insurance.
- Credit Card Details - We will never ask for Credit Card details on our website and request that you do not enter it on any of the forms on this website.
- Remember The Risks - While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to Harper Dolman & West Insurance and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through Harper Dolman & West Insurance have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions.
Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
Changes to Our Policy